Sources for my varsfromjobname LaTeX package, available also from CTAN:
varsfromjobname.sty is based on code by supplied by Friedrich Vosberg, Enrico Gregorio and Markus Kohm, help from Rolf Niepraschk, Sven Naumann, Ulrich Schwarz and Andreas Mathias was greatly appreciated.
What does this package do?
varsfromjobname.sty one can easily extract information from the filename, if it follows a certain form.
The standard LaTeX command
\jobname returns the name of the LaTeX (master) file. If the filename consists of tokens separated by hyphen we can easily extract certain tokens that can be used inside the document.
The package expects the filename to be of the form
one-two-three-four-five-six-seven-eight-nine.tex and offers the following commands:
paramin the range of 1 to 9 (a highlevel
interface to the following commands)
Why can it be useful?
You can use this package for example to define the date of the document in the filename, personally I use it e.g. for
\getfromjobnameis not fully expandable, use one of the other commands if you need expansion
- Version 1.0 cannot extract information from included sub-documents
- The package cannot handle more than nine tokens, see the reference to egreg's answer on TSX below for an updated version
Remark: egreg gave an improved version of the code written with expl3 which also overcomes the limitation of nine parameters.
- German article in the DTK on pagewise versioning with Subversion (to be published)
- Version 0.5, as of January 11th 2009: Initial version published
- Version 1.0, to be published May 2017:
- Added various commands which extract necessary information also from included documents
- Modified code as suggested by egreg
2017-04-30, Uwe Ziegenhagen
Download the contents of this package in one zip archive (182.2k).
varsfromjobname – Extract variables from the name of the LaTeX file
The package allows the user to extract information from the job name, provided that the name has been structured appropriately: the package expects the file name to consist of a set of words separated by hyphens.
The LaTeX Project Public License|
|Contained in||TeX Live as varsfromjobname|
|MiKTeX as varsfromjobname|
support for keeping track of document development|